For the first time in history, 3 out of 4 public elementary school teachers say they see students regularly come to school hungry, and experience anxiety when it’s time to go home on the weekend or over vacations because they are not sure if they will get to eat.
Students often save food from their school lunch to take home so they will have something to eat later.
The Impact on Our Children
- Hungry children exhibited 7 to 12 times as many symptoms of aggressive behavior than their at-risk or not-hungry peers.
- Hungry children were significantly more likely to receive special education services, to have repeated a grade in school and to have received mental health counseling.
- Hungry children suffer growth impairment that greatly hinders their full physical potential.
- Hungry children are sick more often, and more likely to have to be hospitalized.
Our Unprecedented Opportunity
Over 30,000 children in Arapahoe, Douglas, and Elbert counties going without food on the weekends, but together WE can change that.
Right now, SECOR has requests from more than 25 new schools representing more than 1,500 children each week who need our help. By partnering with SECOR and Food for Thought, you will provide healthy food for the most vulnerable children giving them meals for the weekend. Each week the leadership and counselors at each school gives us the names of the most ‘at-risk’ students. We bag up the food, the schools then hands them out to each child.
Ten Dollars. One Child. One Week.
You, your family, friends and organization can provide food for one child for only $10.00 per week, so:
- Feeding 1 child would be $10 a week or $40 per month.
- Feeding 2 children would be $20 a week or $80 per month.
- Feeding 3 children would be $30 a week or $120 per month.
- Feeding 4 children would be $40 a week or $160 per month.
Or Impact an Entire School!
Let’s use Tollgate Elementary as an example: They have 30 ‘at risk’ children each week. 30 children at $10 each equals $300 per week or $1,200 per month. By coming together as a group and sharing the cost you begin to re-write the stories of an entire school of at-risk children.
For more information on the program, or how your company, church, group can provide food for these at-risk children, please contact Mike Dworak at email@example.com.